Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Night Gardener



Make an inference!
What did Kip wish for from the tree?
What will happen with Dr. Crouch?
Will the trap work?

Write about a character!
What character trait would you use to describe Dr. Crouch?
What about Molly? Kip? Allistair? etc.

Write about the theme!
I'm still waiting for someone to go out on a limb and guess what the theme of this book is!

66 comments:

  1. A character trait that I think most fits Mr. Crouch is very worried. I think this trait most fits him because when they caught Mrs. Hester in the net he kept on saying many diseases she could have and whether he should do a blood test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree,
      Though now that we are farther into the book do you still think that? He did try to make the Night Gardener go after Molly and Kip.

      Delete
  2. Remember that time that I made a prediction that the Nightgardener was going to kill Kip and the big hole? Well now I think that the Nightgardener is trying to kill everyone because in the text it said that Molly and Kip found the six holes that each had different sizes like one the size of a grown man (mr.Winsor)and one the size of a little girl (Penny). So I think that after the Nightgardener kills them, hes going to put them in the holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respectively disagree with you Brian. I disagree because I don't think that he will kill them I think he will put their souls in the holes. Does anyone else think that that will happen?

      Delete
    2. I agree and thats probably where you go when the others they end up like constance maybe a week later when the give up the night gardener will bury her in her hole . Why do you think constance is in that trance that the tree or the night gardener put her in ?

      Delete
  3. I infer that Kip wished to see his parents again. I think this because he always is talking about them. He wants to send letters to his parents, but Molly does not want him to get sad if a letter does not come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good background knowledge Will! But I disagree with you because the tree has only given them gifts, nothing more than that. Making multiple people appear is a whole different thing. But I do see why you think that and it is a good idea.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you because he does seem to be that happy as he used to be. But if Molly does not want him to get sad then why does she write the letters? Do you know why?

      Delete
  4. I infer that Kip wished for a healed leg. I think that because in the green room he could have wished that his leg would heal for many reasons. The first reason is that Kip has never attempted life with a healed leg and it is so much easier to handle. A second reason is that he could have a lot more privileges to use.The third and last reason is that Molly wouldn't have to take care of Kip so much. Molly is very protective about Kip and if he has a healed leg he can protect himself. Even though out of everything he could wish for I think it is for his leg to heal.Although for his leg to heal it would take time and patience. I think that is why the author hasn't addressed it yet. That is why I think Kip wished for a healed leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting Kate! I like how you used your background knowledge from the book. And you described it very well! That is why I really like your inference!

      Delete
    2. I agree Kate, He would have many more privileges. But, after he had gone to the green room he was still limping.

      Delete
  5. Penny is a key character in the Night Gardener. If not for her, Molly might never have found the "wishing room." Penny's laughing was what made Molly go curiously towards the open green door. Behind the green door, a happy looking Penny was looking at a new album of Princess Penny books. Molly shooed her out of the room, then looked around the small space. It was then that she found the first letter from Ma and Da. If not for Penny she might never have found out about the tree's power. Penny is a very cheerful girl, and one of the reasons that forced Molly to stay at the Windsor house. Penny was one of the things that kept Molly happy and smiling at her stay with the Windsors. Therefore Penny is a cheerful delighting little girl that is a crucial character in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I infer that kip will wish for a better leg he might wish for a leg brace he new about. I think that because he is always looking at his bad leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason is the the doctor told him that it looked very bad.

      Delete
    2. Emmy that is a good prediction because his leg has been hurt for a long time. Do you agree with me Emmy or not?

      Delete
  7. I infer that Kip will wish that him and his family will once again reunite and have a better life together. I think this because Kip seems to sometimes keep his opinions to himself which can so maybe sometimes can make him feel alone. Ever since Molly found out about the family's deepest secret she has not paid as much attention as she did before to Kip. That is my inference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good inference!
      I hadn't thought of that. Do you think the family will ever reunite?

      Delete
  8. I think Molly is a little over protective for Kip and she's very clever to make up such unsolvable ideas! Molly is a HORRIABLE liar to Kip! Molly's Traits: Clever, loves family, brave, friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justine i agree with you, but why do you think shes over protective. Is their any evidence in the text.

      Delete
    2. I TOTALLY agree with you Justine, Molly is lying to Kip a ton and I also agree with Molly's character traits.

      Delete
  9. I predict the trap will not work for various reasons. One of those reasons is when Molly tried to attack the night gardener, she sort of passed out. Therefore I predict the night gardener has another type of force that will allow him to escape the net. Another reason I think the night gardener will not be trapped is he will somehow be notified of this attempt at catching him because he appears to have some sort of relationship with the tree, and since the tree is holding up the trap, I think it will somehow notify the night gardener. That is why I think the night gardener will not de trapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think someone will notify the night gardener?

      Delete
  10. I think that Kip wished from the tree a way to heal his leg. I think that he feels ashamed of it, and it slows him down while he works. The reasoning is that he doesn't feel his leg is really helpful, or even useful. I think he also feels pains in his leg, too. I know he feels these pains because in the chapter we read today, Molly sees Kip rubbing his hip, as if it hurt, and she thought it always hurt like that. He also felt discouraged, or that the leg was hopeless, aside from magic. And the doctor also told him the metal cage would not help him walk, and that it was a scam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry, I also believe that Kip wished to heal his leg, but he also might have wished for his parents to come home or something else.

      Delete
  11. I infer that kip wished for a leg brace or for his leg to heal because he didn’t like the response from Dr. Crouch the look on his face it made kip feel as if “ he was a lame boy ” and that thought gnawed at him. He hobbled to the front of the Winzers large home and opened the door. When he got the key from the night gardener he finally saw what was in that room something could of happened so he might of wished such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I infer that Dr. Crouch will be attacked by the Night gardener and he will start to lure him to the green door in the house. Then since Dr. Crouch might open the door the Night Gardener might start to steal his soul and he will end up with the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, so far, the tree has only given gifts to the people who live at Windsor Manor permanently. Would Dr. Crouch accept the gift, or tell everyone that the Windsors have a magic tree? Also, what would his gift be?

      Delete

  13. The theme of this book was hard, but after a while I finally thought of one. I think the theme of this book is sometimes when you expect the unexpected it can be good or bad. Think about it, when Molly was is the green room she wasn't expecting anything, but soon she found the letter from her mom and dad. So this was good at the time, but now it's starting to feel bad. Also when Molly and Kip were in the woods with
    Dr. Crouch trying to catch the night gardener and then got Hester instead that seems like it's a bad thing, but then again it could also be a good thing. This is what I think is the theme of the Night Gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Julia! I'm so impressed with your idea about the theme of the book. "Expect the unexpected" is a pretty cool saying!

      Delete
  14. Dr. Crouch is a selfish doctor who wants to be famous and popular , he just wants the attention for himself. He thinks less of the people where Molly and Kip used to live. He is a showoff and just wants to prove that the spirit isn't real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Danny all i think Dr.crouch wants his money. Hes also not helping the kids alot he just give them medicine.

      Delete
    2. Well thats not entirely true, because the doctor wanted to the take a photo of the Night Gardener and be very famous, and bask in glory.

      Delete
  15. I infer that kip wished for his leg to be healed. I think this because he asked the doctor about it. Also I think that th night gardener when he gave him the key it was on purpose, because Molly told kip that behind the green door it is just a broom closet. So then the night gardener gave him the key so then he can discover the magic of the tree, but also the dangers of it. The magic of the tree can be helpful but when you wish for something the night gardener seeks in the house at night and takes your soul. Another thing is that the reason the winsours are so pale and weird. One thing that confused me was that when mr. Wins our left for town his paleness just disappeared. So I wonder that if all the Winsours left the house there paleness would go away and the would look like they did in the picture. But I think I have conclusion for my question. I think that the Winsours are so greedy of the tree's magic that they do not want any one else using it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Molly's character trait throughout the book is starting to change. I suspect that because in the beginning of the book she was a nice girl and would do anything for her younger brother Kip. And now, she seems more occupied with the tree and the mysterious green door. Also, she is acting a little more knowledgable ever since she found out about the Wincers deepest secrets so she thinks she has the right to speak her mind. That is why I think Molly's character trait has changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Maeve. Molly has certainly changed throughout the book. Do you think it has been a good OR bad change?

      Delete
    2. I think that is a bad change. I infer that because she now seems a little more occupied with herself than her brother. That is why I think I is a bad change!

      Delete
    3. I agree, I think she has some selfish tendencies now. Can anybody find evidence to support this claim?

      Delete
    4. I have a little evidence why she has been acting a bit selfish lately. The evidence is the letters because Molly has been keeping it a secret from Kip. I've been thinking that what if Molly doesn't want Kip making his own wishes because of the tree. Do you guys think that because the tree is draining her soul that it's making Molly selfish by stealing her memories of Kip too? I thought what if Molly can't decide if she can trust Kip or not. Why do you think she can't trust Kip or anyone anymore?

      Delete
    5. Well, Molly threw Kip's advertisement for the leg brace into the river. That shows that she wasn't thinking about his emotions or how he felt about it. She just cared that he didn't get interested by it or get any ideas about it.

      Delete
    6. I infer that Kip wished for a leg brace or for his leg to heal. I infer this because lately in the book I haven't noticed any times when it said "Kip struggled to climb into the cart because his leg was throbbing" or, "Kip's leg was exhausted their miraculous escape from the Night Gardener." If anyone thins different or has noticed the story saying something like that please comment.

      Delete
    7. Yes, because remember the photo in the house, the portrait of the Windsor family the summer before they moved to the house and started wishing. They looked healthy and happy, but now the author has described them as gloomy, pale, but not exactly sad. Then as soon as Molly started to wish for letters from her mom and dad, she was becoming more like the Windsor family.

      Delete
    8. I have evidence that Molly has been selfish this is what I know. When Molly left the Wincers she never thought about what would happen to the them all she thought about was her and to get out of there.

      Delete
    9. well, she didn't tell Kip about the Green Room, and that alone means she has changed. Earlier, she really didn't lei, but now she seems more of a clever person. I think this change is going to make her less honest, but cleverer. She is more of a person who would not quail, like at the start of the book, the way she never ever questioned Mistress Windsor's will. The new Molly is much less likely to quail or back away, and that may give her an edge against the Night Gardener.

      Delete
    10. Mr. Pestone is right molly is became a lot more selfish than the begining of the book

      Delete
    11. I think it is a bad change because she lied to her brother. She did this when she got the letter from the tree and she told kip that Ma and Da have replied to there first letter But Molly did not really send it .

      Delete
  17. I think that Molly is draining her soul so that Kip won't be heartbroken if a letter does not come. This is very brave of Molly to sacrifice her life for Kip. Molly does not know that she is giving the tree a lot more power by doing this. Do you guys agree? If not reply why you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A character trait that describes Doctor Crouch well is conceded. One reason conceded is a character trait of Doctor Crouch is because he named the fever the Windsors Crouch fever. This shows that he wants others to thin highly of him just because he discovered a disease (which he sort-of didn't). Also conceded means that you think of yourself as the best at something even though you're not that got at it. In this case Doctor Crouch thinks he is an amazing, life-changing doctor when he really doesn't put his best effort forward.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Dr. Crouch is selfish and self centered. I think this because in the story he does not help Kip and Molly when they needed help. He just ran away from the Night Gardener. While he was running the Night Gardener threw a door at Dr. Crouch. When the door hit Dr. Crouch it killed him. Thats what he gets for being selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that a great character trait for Molly could be confident because when Mrs. Winsor was sick and master Winsor went to the tree Molly was not afraid to go in and talk to him when I don't think she was allowed to be in that room. Another character trait could be that Molly is really closed-mouth, secretive because Molly did not tell Kip about the notes and she really did not tell anyone about it. This is tow character traits I have for Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think its a bad change too. Molly seems as if her soul and loving personality is almost fading away! This gardener is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Molly Stephens

    There are many different theories of what kip wished for when he went through the green door. I infer that kip wished for his leg to be better. I think this because he is always saying how embarrassed he is about his leg. Kip even asked the doctor to see if he could fix kips crippled leg. I hope to find out soon what kip wished for and to see if my inference was correct!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a really big question! I wonder why the Winsors couldn't hear all the noise out side when all the terrible stuff was happening in the yard? Was the Night Gardener secretly making them not able to hear all the noise??? what do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the theme of the book is horror and mystery because its a mystery about the night gardener and horror is what he does to people.... like what happened to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Who thinks that Mr winsors family was killed by the Night Gardener when he was yonger on that stormy night when Mr winsore was a child found on the street screaming and his familys bodies were not found because the tree absorbed there nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Allaistair is a greedy boy who loves candy. Allaistair is very selfish and is a bully to both his sister and Kip. Allaistair makes fun of Penny all the time calling her names and forcing her to do things. He tried to make her eat earth worms earlier in the book which was very mean. He's also very mean to Kip. He makes fun of him because of his bad leg which is unfair because nobody's perfect. He is also a pain in the neck making unnecessary messes for Molly to clean up. Also Allaistair shows no signs of respect for his father and acts like he's not even trying to help, which he is unsuccessfully. All in all Allaistair is a rude obnoxious bully in The Night Gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think Molly’s character trait is maturity. This is because, Molly has practically raised kip. If she had not been mature they would have died. Molly knows how to stand up for herself and to not give up. Another reason I think Molly is mature is because she knows how to protect Kip. She never freaks out when Kip is with her she makes him happy. That is why I think Molly is mature when it comes to a situation or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Molly is a protective sister to Kip. She is protective because she is always standing up for Kip. When he his getting bossed or bullied around she is there for him. Like when Kip got knocked down by Doctor Crouch she was there to stop him from getting away. Molly is also a loving sister to Kip. Such as when Kip misses his Ma and Da she reads the letters to him. Molly gave her wishing button to Kip and said “whenever you are in need of something make a wish to the wishing button.”

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hester Kettle is an old lady with a giant backpack towering over her. She looks like a very poor person but she somehow bribes the store merchants with story's instead of money. also somehow knows everyone in the village

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a question related to what happened with Hester in the woods in the part that we read today. Remember when kip was over by the tree and he saw a bunch of weapons around it as if people were trying to destroy it. If the tree could give them what they wanted? I know that the tree sort of makes you sick but they could find someone that could get the right medicine for everyone. Think about that.

    ReplyDelete

  31. I infer that kip wished for his leg to be healed. I think this because he asked the doctor about it. Also I think that the night gardener when he gave him the key it was on purpose, because Molly told kip that behind the green door it is just a broom closet. So then the night gardener gave him the key so then he can discover the magic of the tree, but also the dangers of it. The magic of the tree can be helpful but when you wish for something the night gardener seeks in the house at night and takes your soul. Another thing is that the reason the winsours are so pale and weird. One thing that confused me was that when mr. Wins our left for town his paleness just disappeared. So I wonder that if all the Windsours left the house there paleness would go away and the would look like they did in the picture. But I think I have conclusion for my question. I think that the Windsours are so greedy of the tree's magic that they do not want any one else using it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Why does Dr. Crouch want to be seen? Why does he want to be so famous and have cured ''Crouch illness."

    ReplyDelete
  33. 1. Molly has definitely changed throughout the book. When we read yesterday, I noticed the author used the word "demanded" after Molly said something. When someone demands something, it usually is not in a good tone. However, I do not blame Molly for her actions, as some of the other characters are a LOT worse than Molly.
    2. It was hard to think about, but I think the theme of the book is to not be greedy. This may sound wrong, but here is why I think that.
    1. The tree drains your soul when you make a wish.
    2. Master Windsor was using too much money he didn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think that a good character trait for Molly could be secretive because she did not tell Kip about the notes and when she knew something was wrong she would still tell Kip it will be fine. another one could be bravery because she was not afraid to touch the died body and also Molly went into the green door when she was not allowed.

    ReplyDelete