Not just a collection of thoughts and pictures, but an archive of discoveries and conversations made by the students in room 143.
Monday, June 8, 2015
Seeing Red
Pretend you are Red. Write a letter to your mama defending your opinion that the family shouldn't move. If you really want to stay in Stony Gap...you need to be persuasive and support your argument with evidence!
Remember, good persuasive writers don't just use good evidence...They appeal to the emotional side of the reader, they employ rhetorical questions, and they make sure the reader has something to lose by not agreeing with them.
Can you do it? Red is counting on you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dear mama,
ReplyDeleteWe don't need to move! I know why we shouldn't. First of all, this is where we all grew up. If we just need more money, we maybe can just charge a little more for car tuneups. I could also try getting a job like babysitting.
Another reason we shouldn't move is because you will need to get a new job, which may take a month. However, if we just stayed in stony gap, we could just keep our living here. We also should lower pay. Life would just get harder than it is right now if we move.
Just think, would Daddy want us to move? Or would he want you to stay?
Dear mom, I think we should stay where we are living right now. (Stony Gap Virginia) I feel that we should not move away to Ohio were family is. We don’t want to just leave this house. We have so many memories here even if so memories are bad. You don’t want to be putting all those memories to waste, do you? This is where I walked, talked and took by first breath theirs so many things here that will miss if we move away. There might be some bad things that we won’t miss like the cries of the children or hearing our neighbor swear so much. We might be happy if we move to Ohio, but this is the town we know as home.
ReplyDeleteSincerely, you concerned and sad son Red
Dear Mama,
ReplyDeleteWe should definitely NOT move to Ohio. We will have to find the money to finance a new house and that's not easy! Plus who would be here to take care of Bo and Help out Ms Georgia? Think twice about the question I am about to ask, Why do I really want to move to Ohio? Is it because of Daddy? Well I can tell you that there is no way he would leave Stony Gap and that should influence you not to leave either. How do you think it makes me feel? If we move I will be dragging my feet around the house all day conplaining and giving you headaches. Anayways I hope you consider this letter and hopefully change your mind. P.S (If you do you won't regret it.)
Love,
Red
Mom, why move to Ohio when you can stay in beautiful Stony Gap. people still come by to the shop so we can still make money to buy food and clothes and stuff like that. I know I have many relatives in Ohio, but one of my only friends lives here and i'll barely know anybody in Ohio. I was named after one of my relatives who lived here, and this place reminds me of daddy. Even though Mr. (Dunlap?) is cruel to people and animals we can try to stay out of his way, maybe he will be sent to prison someday. Don't forget that I was born here. Love Red.
ReplyDeleteIn Stony Gap, Virginia we have made so many memories. If we were to move away, we might forget all of those memories, and let them disappear. Listen to me and stay here where we have history. We may have family in Chicago, but we had daddy here, would you really want to leave and forget all about him? And think about our friends, we have made so many friends here; would you really leave them here with Mr. Dunlop? That's disaster waiting to happen. Do it for our history, do it for our friends, and stay here or hometown Stony Gap, Virginia.
ReplyDeleteDear mom
ReplyDeleteI know that we are pretty close to selling the house. However, I just wanted you to know, I spray painted the garage because I was asking you in my head; "why do you want to sell the house?" I mean you have a steady business and a great home, and I talked to Mrs. Georgia, she said bigger is not always better, and smaller is not always worse. Also think about Jay, there are plenty of thieves and robbers in the city, is that really the type of environment you want your child growing up in. It is your choice, but that is my reasoning for why it is a bad idea. I've made my decision, what's yours?
-Red
Dear Mama,
ReplyDeleteI really want to stay in Stony Gap. How do you think that dad would feel if we moved. I can even fix up the shop, and get us back on track.All of my friends live hear, if we moved to Chicago, I wouldn’t have any friends to play with. This is where I belong. Please mom, please.
Love
Red
Dear Red's Mom,
ReplyDeleteWe all have been sad about your husband's death, especially your family. But moving is not a good way to tend to your grieving. Your sons will be affected by the move tremendously. Yes, leaving behind your life in Stony Gap is may be good for you, but it’s the place where they can feel like they are with their dad. Talk to your family, you will realize the stress of moving has caused them to feel sadder. Moving is not the answer to your problems. I understand you are grieving from the loss, but the way you look and are acting is affecting your kids. IF they see you sad, they will be sad and wonder what’s wrong. To feel connected to your husband, be closer with your kids. That starts with not moving, stay n the life you have always known. So, don’t move, for it all to be okay.
From, your friend, Evelyn.
Dear mama,
ReplyDeleteI really don't want to move from Stony Gap. I know that I have family there but none of the children are my age or even around it. Also if we move what about this car garage I know that you are upset that dad vanished but this is not our fault there is nothing we can do except the fact he is gone and continue the car garage business dad had. Maybe dad wanted us to continue it I know that we don't know but that could be possible. Could you please consider this mama.
-Red
Mama please here me out at least let me have a say in the decision papa did make me the man of the house. If we move it will be like losing part of us we grew up here you had your marriage here and daddy is here in reality he loves that shop and without gas people in this town wont be able to use their cars. And some will lose jobs and then they will blame it on us and that’s like being as bad as Mr. Dumlop you don’t want that do you? You will take our entire world away from us all we know all we have seen in our lives. What about business in Ohio will it keep us off the streets? Its up to you, you can loose our happiness or you can let it be.
ReplyDeleteRed
Dear Mama,
ReplyDeleteAs you know I have been very made and frustrated about you thinking we should move to Ohio. I know you have family there, but we have many great memories here in Stoney Gap. Daddy wants you to be happy, but at the same time he would have wanted you to keep the store, which he loved. If we leave we would be leaving our past and daddy behind us. Jay is also having a tough time with daddy being gone, which is why I think he needs to stay at the same school with all his buddies. I hope you think the move over again until you really know what our next step will be.
Sincerely yours,
Red
Dear
ReplyDeleteMama
I think we shouldnt move to Ohio because i will have no friends and what about all we have worked hard to make something of our name. I think we could live here because we have a nice shop and autobody shop so people will still come. What about Boa no one else will hire him plus he's like family.
From,
Red
Dear mom, I know you are going through struggles and trying to sell the house but why do you want to sell this memory filled home with the smells of sweet cinnamon that lingers in our noses. Daddy's soul lives here with you why would you want to leave this heathy home? Our friends and shop with be left here with the memory's of us playing in the sun with our father watching us but if we do not leave, those memory's will stay. Mom we are here for you
ReplyDeleteLove, Red
Dear mama,
ReplyDeleteHave you ever thought what daddy would think of us moving? I mean come on mom this is were memories, our memories are. Yes there are some cons to living here such as, Mr. Dunlop, daddy died, and we don’t have another adult to rely on in life. Although this is the place where everything started from you and daddy starting a family to Jay being born. Our life is like a rain shower. Sometimes there are storms but not to long after a rainbow appears, I want this to happen not in Ohio, but in our home Stony Gap, Virginia.
Dear mama,
Have you ever thought what daddy would think of us moving? I mean come on mom this is were memories, our memories are. Yes there are some cons to living here such as, Mr. Dunlop, daddy died, and we don’t have another adult to rely on in life. Although this is the place where everything started from you and daddy starting a family to Jay being born. Our life is like a rain shower. Sometimes there are storms but not to long after a rainbow appears, I want this to happen not in Ohio, but in our home Stony Gap, Virginia.
Sincerely your son,
Red
Dear Mom
ReplyDeleteWe should not sell the house because this is where we started the family. You gave birth to me and Jay here. Why would you want to leave? This is our old stomping grounds. Yes Mr. Dunlop is yelling all the time and we do not have Dad to sing over it but Bo can do the same as Dad. If we leave where would Bo go. Nobody else would hire him but Dad. If Dad where still hear he would not want you to sell the place. He is still with us. Yes your family is in Ohio but you started here this is where our family is now. Yes it may be hard being a single mom but who would be there to help Miss Georgia and be Rosie’s best friend. If we leave where would every one go to get their cars fixed? We can not go and leave when Jay and I have lived here our whole life!
Love
Red
Mama, if we leave Stony Gap, how will we make money? For the first few weeks we can live with your family, but any longer and we will be a burden. What can we do there? We can't buy a car shop and a what-you-want together in Ohio. Where will we find those two together? And a house? Why, we'll never find something like home there. You moved to Stony Gap to marry Daddy. How could you leave?
ReplyDeleteDear, Mama
ReplyDeleteI don't want to move. We had so many memories here. Almost all of them were with daddy. We can make more memories and have fun. I like it here more than ever now because I didn't think we were going to move. Also who will help Mrs. Georgia? Another one is who will be my friend besides Rosie if we are moving? Why do you want to move if we don't have to? Can we stay if we make you proud? Whatever it takes I'm willing to do. Let me stay and I will be happier than a chicken laying an egg! I will clean the whole shop, in fact even re-do the shop. I can even get a a couple jobs to get the money we need. How will we know if the buyer will treat it properly or damage it. Our history here will be lost if we move. Please Mama. I need you to support me on this.
Dear Mom,
ReplyDeleteI know that you have family in Ohio but this is where our family is. Dad is burried here and I could not leave him alone, plus me and my brother have made friends and I don't want to leave them. Not just me but what about the shop, who will take care of it. Also Bo will have no job and what if he does not get another job. Then there is Ms. Georgia, who will fix her car, and be nice to her. I can understand that you want to see your family but we can't move there because this is where our family is.
Sincerely, your son Red