Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Surviving the Applewhites

Why does E.D. distrust Jake?  Is she judging him before she really knows him? Have you read a book with that type of theme before? Make an inference about something you think might happen in the coming chapters!  What clues led you to this inference?

Don't forget to talk with eachother!


32 comments:

  1. I think E.D. does not trust Jake because of the things he's done in the past like get kicked out of all his old schools, and possibly have burnt one down and that is why she is judging him before he gets to know him. I think he will try and run away from the Applewhites because he does not like them and thinks they will kick him out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan, I love your inference i actually think he will run away too.

      Delete
    2. I've never really thought about this, but now that I see this inference I think Jake might run away too! I also think if he does, Jake will come back because he discovers that he likes having a 'family'

      Delete
    3. I agree. But I don't think Jake will come back. I think he might try to bust his parents out of jail.

      Delete
  2. I think that E.D doesn't give Jake a chance because E.D thinks Jake is a trouble maker. E.D thinks that because he smokes and has crazy hair and acts like he doesn't care about anything. A book that I read that has that type of theme is because of Mr.Turupt. It is like That cause there is a new kid and the new kid has a hard time fitting in, and the other girls are not giving her a chance. In the coming chapters I think that E.D will give Jake a chance to prove him wrong cause he has been acting a lot more nicer and more polite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your inference Camden, what book is that though?

      Delete
  3. I think E.D. distrust Jake because the things that he has done in the past. I think this because, would you like someone at first who got kicked out of school, and burnt down a school? I don't think you should judge someone before you know them. Most people will, I probably would too. Just because you think something is not right doesn't mean you wouldn't do it. Honestly, i have never read a book with this theme. I usally pick something with more adventure and mystery. I think in the next few chapters E.D. and Jake will make friends. I think this because this happens in some other books i read. The two main characters most likely make friends. I also think this because in the book Jake Semple and E.D. are already getting closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan, I really like your post. I agree with you. I think E.D. distrusts Jake because of what he has done in the past and because of his appearance. I think E.D. and Jake will become friends too! I can't to find out what happens next!

      Delete
  4. E.D. distrusts Jake because of the way he acts toward others and her. For example, he burned down his school and he doesn't care or listen to E.D. I don't think that she is judging him before she knows him because she knows that his parents went to jail and he burnt down his school so he is a not very nice kid. I infer that in the next few chapters that Jake and E.D. will get to know each other a little more and become better friends. Some clues that support this are that the Applewhites believe that if they treat him nicely, he will change his behavior and become a better person and friend to others. This might have an impact on E.D. and they way he treats people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your inference and how you gave clues to support your inference.

      Delete
  5. I think E.D. distrusts Jake because of the rumors she's heard about him like burning down a school and getting kicked out of lots of schools. I think it's also because of Jake's appearance. He dresses in black and has lots of piercings on himself. Yes, I think E.D. is judging Jake before she really knows him because of these reasons and Jake is going through a tough time with his parents being arrested, so I don't think he's really mean on the inside. Yes, I've read a book with this theme. The book was 'Blubber'. It had this theme because the main character judges a girl because of her appearance. But then, she learns that this girl is actually a nice person and is a great friend. I infer that Jake and E.D. are going to become friends. Even though they haven't clicked yet, I think E.D. will see that Jake is a really nice person and Jake will discover that E.D. isn't the kind of girl Jake thinks she is. Some things that led me to think about this inference were that Jake's parents just got arrested, so he's going through time, and maybe he'll become nice. Also, Jake ad E.D. were at the exact same level for school, so they might have similar personalities as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this post, and I really like why you said E.D. distrust Jake.

      Delete
    2. I agree when you said Jake was going through some really hard things but is he really the bad kid he is cut out to be?

      Delete
  6. I think E.D doesn't trust Jake because of all the bad stuff he did in the past. Also Jake is different he has a different personality and the way he looks maybe is a little scary or different for E.D. I think that in the upcoming chapters Jake will have a lot to learn from the Applewhites because the Applewhites have a certain way of doing things and I think the Applewhites main goal is to teach Jake these ways and I think Jake will find a way to fit in with the Applewhites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think E.D distrusts Jake because he burned down his old school. Because he is a trouble maker and doesn't follow the rules.He also has a smart mouth which means he talks back a lot. I have read a book like this it is called maze runner. I think the theme is don't judge a book by it's cover. An inference I make is that E.D is going to befriend him because she will realize he is not as tough as he seams. I think this because on the back that jake is not as tough as he seams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should support your claims more. For example you should add more when you were talking about why E.D. distrusts Jake.

      Delete
  8. I think in the incoming chapters, I think Jake will get accepted into a school, not just any school a private school. Then he will become very more mature. I think because, maybe he's just pretending to be a bad kid, in the inside he knows he doens't want to do bad things he's just doing it to get attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, and pigs will fly. I think no matter what, he will be a bad boy.

      Delete
  9. E.D. distrusts Jake because he has gotten kicked out of all Rhode Island schools and has a personal and family history of being bad, i.e., his parents committed crimes and they are now in jail. Also, Jake wasn't nice to E.D. because he smoked cigarettes and blew it into her face. Most of all, she didn't vote for him to come to her school because of what she knew about Jake's history. I think that E.D. is judging Jake before she gets to know him because she thinks about what he's done in the past, but she hasn't experienced him herself for more than two days which is not enough time to get to know someone. I have not read a book with this theme, but I infer that Jake won't love the Applewhites but will have to deal with them. I think this because it says in the title, "Surviving the Applewhites" and in the summary it makes it sound like the Applewhite's school will be his home for most or all of the book. I think he'll like their school more than others because he can do what he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that E.D. distrust Jake because he smokes and is a little ignorant. But I think that later in the story that his attitude will change later in the story. I do think that E.D. is judging him a little early but later in the the story I think that they will bound latter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally, i'm not a big fan of Surviving the Applewhites because i think this book is boring and very weird.

    I think E.D is not distrusting Jake because he wants her to dislike her. He wants to be bad and have people hate him. But i would do the same so i'm not really sure. Therefore if Jake is fine with it E.D is not distrusting him. In the truth she probably is judging him too soon but if i was her i would do the same so i'm kind of iffy on this situation. This makes ED a structured person. I infer that in class there is going to be chaos because ED and Jake positively hate each-other

    .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that jake seems like a tough and bad boy but i really believe that he isn't. I think that he is good on the inside but since both of his parents are in jail he is mad and so he wants everyone else to feel his pain. Also now he is going to live with the Applewhites he is really mad and does not feel like doing this at all. I think what will come in the book is he is going to learn to to have fun with the Applewhites and at the end he will be happy he was with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think that to amelia. I think he just wants to seem tough, but he is actually really sad about him parents and he is actually not so tough.

      Delete
  13. I think that Jake Semple and ED are going to get closer, slowly but surely and will eventually become good friends near the end. I also do think that ED is judging Jake because she hasn't really had too much interaction with him, basically only in the instance where Jake was smoking. I think that everyone should get a second chance, and ED isn't even giving him a first chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Allie and I agree with you because E.D just needs some time to figure out Jake.

      This is Claire and I disagree. Look at what Jake has done! He burned down his school, smokes, and uses bad words.

      Delete
    2. I agree with allie. ED should get to know jake before she judges him.

      Delete
  14. I think that e.d distrusts Jake because he has done bad things, and she probably thinks it means he is a bad person. i think she shouldn't judge him because he might actually be a good person, and he might have just done those things because he was sad about his parents. this book is kinda like the book "Anastasia again" because there is this boy that she thinks is weird an mean, but once she learns more about him she actually finds out that he is a nice person and they become good friends. i think that in the upcoming chapters E.D might learn more about Jake and start to like him and become friends.I think this because they have a class together and they might need to do partner things and they will have to collaborate. I think they will become friends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you guys about having E.D. distrust him because of his past history.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also agree that E.D. is judging Jake before she really knows him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think ED feels mad at Jake for being rude and ignorant.I know this because he is mean to everyone and blows smoke in her face from his illegal smoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Joe because E.D. Is not giving jake a chance because E.D is judging jake by his cover.

      Delete
  18. Why should she trust him? All the schools in RI banned him, and he burned down the last one. He smokes cigars (in a smoke-free place) and uses bad words. At the beginning of the book, he said that he was planning to make his stay here shorter than the one at his old school. He was only there for about a month! No one should trust Jake.

    ReplyDelete