Monday, October 28, 2013

Listen to Someone Read - Flora and Ulysses

We have introduced a new part of our "Daily 5" routine called Listen to Someone Read.   I've started reading the book Flora and Ulysses to the class.  It is a hilarious story about a young girl who rescues a squirrel from her neighbor's vacuum cleaner!  What?!?!?  Check out the video below...






Students:  Do you like the Daily 5 so far?  Why?

What about Flora and Ulysses? What was your favorite part so far? Can you make an inference about the theme of the book based on clues from the text and your background knowledge?







6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Flora and Ulysses so far it's funny and entertaining. I know this does'nt have to do with Flora and Ulysses but could you maybe post something on the blog about veterans day like give us some details to help or give webstites that you liked and thinked that would help us out...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christian,
      Thanks for asking! I typed "veteran's day" into google and got some mixed results. I liked most of the ".gov" websites. I know I can trust them to give me accurate information because they are our country's official websites.
      I also liked the History Channel's website, which was one of the search results. I knew from previous experience watching the History Channel that it would have plenty of informational videos to watch.

      Delete
  3. I like Flora and Ulysses because it is funny and I always cant wait to see what happens next! Are we going to do some sort of project with the book? Just asking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Morgan! Let me do some thinking. Maybe I can plan a project surrounding the book.

      Do you have any predictions about Flora and Ulysses' relationship? What kinds of superhuman things do you think they will they be able to accomplish together?

      Delete
    2. This book is unpredictable but i think there might be some problems with Ulysses and Floras mom. Not any mom would want a squirrel in the house - much less a super squirrel. I think most of the time the book is entertaining and exciting but sometimes i'm confused. I hope we read this more often!

      Delete