Not just a collection of thoughts and pictures, but an archive of discoveries and conversations made by the students in room 143.
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
The Night Gardener
Lets get another discussion going! We are knee-deep in the suspense now, and there are so many things happening! I can't wait to see what we come up with.
-Ask a question - Maybe a classmate can answer it for you.
-Make an inference based on some evidence from the book!
-Talk about a cause and effect situation in the book
*Challenge* Can you start to see a theme emerging? In other words, what is the underlying meaning of the story so far? What important life lessons are the characters learning and HOW are they learning them?
Don't just post, be part of the discussion!
First, write your post using WORD or PAGES, then check for spelling and grammar. Finally, copy and paste!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Im still going with my prediction. I infer that the night gardener is the tree. I think this because in the cover he's standing inside the tree. I feel like the night gardener is a ghost but can only be seed in their dreams. I feel like the night gardener died by the tree someway. So now hes part of the tree. As in the book kip saw the routes moving so there for i think the tree is alive. What do you guys think comment back please.
ReplyDeleteCool! What if it is ALL JUST A DREAM???
DeleteGreat hint that the tree was trying to get Kip. I thought right at that moment the nightgardener was going to get Kip and posess him.
DeleteI also don't think that the whole thing is just a dream because when the roots got Kip he felt pain so it couldn't be a dream.
DeleteThis all could very well be the WORST dream in the world. Great thinking! It does seem like he's a ghost, a BLACK ghost, because when Molly saw him it said he looked like a black shadow.
DeleteLuke but a tree cannot move out and walk around, the night gardener must have a home in the tree. I do believe that the night gardener did die by the tree.
DeleteIt is possible that he lives in the tree but, I don't think he is the tree.
DeleteI agree with Liam. :)
DeleteYes Liam i think your correct we did read in the book that he moved around. But we dont know yet Liam they only see him in their dreams. I know their been clues hes been walking but it might be leaves blowing through the window.
DeleteI respectfully disagree that the night gardener is a ghost because how can a shadowy ghost pick up a metal shovel and dig a hole if it is dead and ghosts are practically invisible!
DeleteI infer that someone saw Molly and Kip writing the letter (probably Penny). Then when Molly noticed she had things missing, they probably found the letter. After that, when Molly told the story of the “Princess and the moon” and Penny left, she went and told Mrs. Windsor they were leaving. Mrs. Windsor then had the letter, and decided to write a letter from “Mom and Dad” and told them to stay put so they wouldn’t leave.
ReplyDeleteBut Jake...didn't Molly see the letter wash out of the tree amidst sea foam and a briny breeze?
DeleteI agree with Jake because Molly and Kip wrote the letter in the BEGGINING of the book so maybe penny was spying on them in the beginning and probly thought that they were going to leave but then they got the letter and told them to stay put and when Molly showed Kip Penny was spying on them AGAIN.
DeleteThen, Mrs. Windsor could've seen it, or it came back, and she decided to do something.
DeleteI respectfully disagree Jake because molly said that no one else write like that in their house. Also it said in the text that it said ma and da and only their parents write that they know.
DeleteThat is true luke but didn't you remember that it says they made a clothe of seweed and sailed to the eskimos. Doesn't that make you feel like the note is a bit unreal.
DeleteGreat evidence, Frankie!
DeleteI think the cause for the letter is that the night gardener took it. I think that because in the letter it said ''stay there no matter what.'' That seems suspicious to me because in the book the author noted that they seemed pale (the Wincers). I have been thinking that the effect might be that the night gardener wants to take Kip's soul and Molly's soul. It might have been why the roots tried to attack Kip. I think that the night gardener is making the letters, lives in the tree in the green door, and that the letters are a trick by the night gardener. What do you think?
ReplyDeleteKate great inference! I think the letter is a huge setup by the night gardener himself. I think that because from the letter it said a lot a things that I think is probably fiction, and it kind of reminds me of the night gardener reminding them that he is still near and out to get them. That is what I predict!
DeleteThanks Maeve!!
DeleteWho do you guys think is the night gardener? I think it is one of the guys that was collecting the money or old storyteller Molly and Kip came across on their way to the Wincer's house. Comment your answer!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYes, maybe! Lets not forget those two business men. What were their names?
DeleteKate, I think the Night Gardener is not any of the people introduced so far in the story. I think this because wouldn't one of them acted yet? Or suddenly disappeared keeping the reason unknown?
DeleteRyan made a good point I think the night man would have been introduced more clearly and so maybe not the storyteller or the men at the door. But good prediction Kate you got me wondering there for a second.
DeleteWhen I first read the night gardener I started to wonder, "Why is the tree magic?" but then I finished the book, and I only got a part of my question answered. Can You Help?
ReplyDeleteWell I haven't read the whole book yet but I seems as if the tree is magic because in real life a tree wouldn't give messages and wrap its roots around a person. So as we read on maybe we will discover more on how the tree is magic! and then we will figure out why is the tree magic because I think its magic!.
DeleteI infer that the letters coming they are not from there mom and dad because the post man just came. So that the letters coming from the tree are from the night gardener, he is probably trying to get them to stay longer. So he can drain them like he is probably doing to the Windsors. That way the letters are copying every thing there parents do to write a letter. Such as there handwriting and because you will not get a raft pulled by a whale. something is going on!
ReplyDeleteGreat evidence from the text, Liam!
DeleteNice inference Liam! But do you really think the night gardener is going to drain Moly and Kip as well?
DeleteNathan the text says that the night gardener has all ready started draining molly kip must be next.
Deletei wonder if the night gardener might actually be nice. you picture him no eyes black cloak black hat and just a dark person that romes around the house, however that dosn't mean he's bad. just the author ( Jonathan Auxier) pictured him to be like that from another story his dad told him when h was a kid
ReplyDeleteAdam, can you please revise this post? Thank you.
DeleteI think the night gardener is a pretty fishy character. He wanders around the house in the middle of the night and digs large holes in the yard.
DeleteI agree with Adam maybe hes nice and hes trying to help molly and kip.
DeleteI infer that the Night Gardener is a weird person that snoops around the house. I think he owns the house and giving the family wishes.
ReplyDeleteWill, what evidence led you to make this inference?
DeleteWhy do think the night gardener is giving them these gifts? I think it's the tree.
Deletewhy would the night gardener give them gifts if they discribe him as a bad sounding person so far.
DeleteOh well maybe, but since I missed read aloud today im not sure on what you mean when you said the Night Gardener gave the family wishes.
DeleteWhy do you think he snoops around the house?
DeleteWhy do you think hes a weird person?
DeleteIn the story he is on the property when no one knows he is there and I think he is weird because he stalks people when they are sleeping
DeleteAs we all know Molly has recently received letters from her parents. I infer those letters she has been getting are not from her parents. The first letter they got, at the end of it said to stay there no matter what. I think the night gardener has been sending those letters to keep Molly and Kip from leaving. I infer the night gardener will keeping sending the letters so Molly and Kip think their parents are coming back. I hope to find out if my inference is correct later in the book.
ReplyDeleteWhy would the night gardener want them to stay? He doesn't seem very friendly, does he? I'd assume that he would like them them leave him and his tree alone.
DeleteI agree Molly great inference I think you are right!!!!!!!!
DeleteI think that the story Alastair told cemented the fact that the house changes those who live in it. I do not believe that anyone will leave. I would not think that Kip or his sister would leave, because they would have no where to go.
ReplyDeleteWow Henry. I think you're right...
DeleteNow THAT'S thinking outside the box!
DeleteI agree! And the letter that they think their mom wrote says "so stay where you are." I defiantly think that the Night Gardener will make them not leave, and I agree, where would they go?
DeleteI agree that you think they have nowhere to go, because they are so far away and really don't have essentials.
DeleteI infer that people are trying to cut down the tree so the curse that is draining the Wincers souls would end, but the tree would spread it's roots around whatever the person is trying to cut it down with, also i think the tree is giving gifts to the Wincers and molly so they will stay at the house. The Night Gardener is either trying to stop the curse or keep it going on.
ReplyDeleteI think that the night gardener lives in the tree and he gives them there wishes. when we found out that molly was in the green door reading a book that she might of had in her room that made me suspicious that the night gardener had something to do with that. Also when the black liquid came out of the not hole i thought there was some kind of magic in the house. One more prediction is that the tree is alive and the night gardener controls it. for someone to know about the house they might of had to have lived there so i predict that the night gardener lived here when he was a boy but then the tree casted a spell or did some magic and then that made the boy become the night gardener and as he grows older he roames the hall of the house.
ReplyDeleteWow Frankie, your prediction about the night gardener blows me away. Do you really think he lived there as a little boy and had a spell cast on him? It seems like it could be true. Can anyone think of evidence to support Frankie's claim?
DeleteI totally agree Frankie, and all of the pieces are coming together.
DeleteI think that when penny was in the room with the green door the night gardener was telling her the story because only Penny's voice was herd and from the text she was going like
ReplyDelete"yay" and she gasped once too. I think that SHE TOLD the nightgardener that Molly was leaving so the nightgardener wrote that letter in her mom's handwriting and wrote that she should stay put which is a HUGE hint!
It sounded as if there was only one person was in the room. Only Penny's voice was heard when Molly saw ONLY Penny in the room behind the green door.
DeleteSorry but I forgot to add that the night gardener was IN the tree, sorry Julia.
DeleteHow come the night garderer alway leaves muddy foot prints?
ReplyDeleteI think it is because he is always outside.
DeleteBecause he is a gardener so he always stands in the mud but why does he go in the house?
DeleteI agree with Kate he his a gardener.
DeleteWhy and what did the tree want with kip? That still is a question for me why did it want to crush kip? Or was it someone else that knows kip and molly slept and watched the night man? I think that the tree wants blood or something from kip and molly. Because why else would the tree squeeze kips finger so hard? We already have inferred that the night gardener possibly wants to steel their souls and that’s probably what makes the winzers so ghastly and I agree with Frankie with the fact that the night gardener hides during the day.
ReplyDeleteAND...Why did it try to crush Penny when she fell in the other hole?
DeleteAll those notes Molly is receiving she thinks it is her mom that sent it but I don't think so. I think it has to do with the Winsor family because in the book it says that penny gets the books and, Penny's brother gets candy and, Master Winsor gets jewels and Mr. Winsor gets money. At the same I also think the nigh gardener did this to trick Molly and Kip so they think it is from their ma and da. The night gardener might have wandered around and saw their parents and could see their ma's handwriting the night gardener might of went off in the morning because he/she walks around the house at night. This is what I think what do you think of the night gardener?
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think Kip will get from the tree?
DeleteI don't really know but i do know that Kip is really determine to find out facts about the tree and why it is there.
DeleteMr.Pestone do you think he will even know about the tree because Molly is keeping it a secret?
DeleteHey Kate! I think Kip is just as curious as Molly....
DeleteKate I think Kip might find out where Molly gets those notes but, I don't know how.
DeleteI have a few questions for Figs and Stubs. Why do they come every month? what did master windsor do to make them do this? I also have a suspicion about how the book said that master windsor payed them in different kinds of money. Why didn't the the tree give him the same kind of money? So, some things don't make much sense at the moment, but soon enough, all of the pieces are going to come together
ReplyDeletep.s. There is so much suspense in this book, every time we read it, it feels like I'm on the edge of my seat the entire time.
I too would like to know exactly why Figs and Stubs come to the house!
DeleteRemember when kip saw all those weapons around the tree and the book said that maybe people were trying to destroy it. Why would you want to destroy it if the tree gives you gifts?
ReplyDeleteI predict that the doctor coming to the Wincers house is going to find out the family's deepest secrets. I infer that because since Mr. Wincer is leaving town ( as usual) the rest of the family is going to be extra cautions around strangers. Now that Molly and Kip know about the Wincers mysterious life, I'm suspecting that they are going to be more and more interested in the green door so maybe the doctor will be watching their particular behavior. That is my inference about the new doctor!
ReplyDeleteWow, Maeve! What do you think the doctor will do if he finds out??? What would the tree give to a man like him?
DeleteHow come every time Master Wincer leaves something exciting happens???
DeleteI think he will probably be very astonished and maybe a little bit nervous!
DeleteI think that the tree is trying to get Molly and Kip to stay near the sour woods with the Wincers by sending them the letters. I think he is doing this so he can do something bad to the Wincers. I also think the night gardener is planing something big now that Molly and Kip are there with the Wincers. Maybe he\she is trying to lure as many people as possible to the house for a big event that will scare everyone.
ReplyDeleteInteresting....What kind of big event?
DeleteGood inference Nathan!
DeleteWhat do you think the Night Gardener is plotting?
I think hes trying to kill them in a stealth way like when no one was around the roots grabed Kip and tryed to kill him.
DeleteThats a great inference Nathan! I also think that the night gardener is trying to keep Molly and Kip at the Wincers by sending those letters but what do you think the night gardener is planning?
Deletegrate inference nathan
DeleteBrian, do you really think the night gardener is trying to kill Kip, or just try to scare him away?
DeleteNathan, I don't think that the Night Gardener is trying to scare him away because maybe he wrote that letter the got from their "mom" . (I don't know what we read in class fully though.)
DeleteTrue, but im with Adam maybe the night gardener is nice maybe he protecting Molly and Kip.
DeleteEvelyn i respectfully disagree i think the night gardener may try to scare them away. This book reminds me of beetle juice the movie they die and now their part of the house just like the night gardener. but at the same time maybe the night gardener is trying to help.
DeleteI predict that the Night Gardener is somewhat part of the tree, sort-of like he is attached to it or something. I predict this for two reasons. One reason I predict this is because when Kip entered the hole little black, dead-looking roots (which I think were parts of the Night Gardener) were trying to pull him under. Normal roots wouldn't do that, but the Night Gardener has a better chance of being the one to blame. Another reason I think this is when Molly and Kip were spying on the Night Gardener, he was watering the tree. I think this is a reason is because all the axes, saws, knifes and other things could have caused damage to the tree which would cause damage to the Night Gardener so, he was trying to heal the tree so he would heal to.
ReplyDeleteGreat evidence, Ryan!
DeleteGreat job Ryan, very creative and smart! But if Molly and Kip could see the "night gardener", then how could they see the tree too?
DeleteBecause Nathan, when Molly and Kip were spying on the Night Gardener, he was watering the tree which would have caused him to be near or next to the tree because you can only water a plant\ tree from a certain distance.
DeleteI think that when they wish for something it slowly takes there soul and they start to look pale and pale and life less. And I think that the night gardener is all the winsore combind and that is why he's pale.
ReplyDeleteMolly is a very curious person, as the book unfolds I have noticed that Molly must find the answer to any unanswered question. This curiosity helps Molly find many answers to problems in which she is facing. For instance if she hadn't been curious about the green door she would have never found the letters from Ma and Da. There are many other cause and effects in the Night Gardener. When Kip and Molly observed the night gardener they saw him digging holes. Therefore they knew something fishy was going on.
ReplyDeleteWow, Julia. Curiousity is definitely one of Molly's prevailing character traits. Do you think it'll do her more harm than good?
DeleteGood example of cause and effect, Julia. But over all do you think that may end up getting her in trouble again like getting caught looking at the rings?
DeleteI think it probably will. She might even get in trouble with the Night Gardener, which would most likely not be very good.
DeleteGreat cause and effect. I have also seen in the book how molly just keep seeing and uncovering these big secrets.
DeleteI infer that the night gardener is draining molly as he is doing to the Windsors. I know this because the book said that molly has thin black hair and when she ran her fingers through her hair it fell out. Also here skin is pail white. Also that penny asked her if she needed medicine so that means the night gardener is trying to drain molly to. It might not be the night gardener it could be when mistress windsor stork molly arm and she leaped back because of the coldness of her hand witch it spread to molly. the night gardener most have cast a spell on mistress windsor if the case is that it was miters windsor. molly is in trouble.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you think the night gardener is draining from them that makes them so pale and gaunt?
DeleteIn class today we uncovered a new big part in the night gardener. Molly has been turning dull and pale just like the Wincers. I was wondering how is this even possible is it because who ever stay’s in the house turns dull and pale? Maybe there is a cure that’s probably why Mr. Wincer sent that doctor. Also why has not kip turned pale? I hope you guys will answer these questions for me if not I hope we find out tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I was wondering what we read! That sounds so cool, I bet Mr.Windsor did call the doctor because of that.
DeleteDo you think Kip doesn't turn pale because he sleeps in the stables? I think the Night Gardener only goes in the HOUSE at night and that he is strongly tied in with all of this.
DeleteI have been reading some Greek and Roman mythology, and it gave me the idea, couldn't the Night Gardener be a tree spirit of some kind? I think that it is at the very least a possibility that the Night Gardener is a spirit of the tree, maybe trapped inside because of some curse.
ReplyDeleteThat's great thinking!
DeleteHenry i feel like your right im into spirits books to and this is exactly the same. Good thinking Henry.
DeleteThat's a good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that.
DeleteMolly is a very good story teller and is able to persuade people to do certain things. That is the only reason Penny had her medicine for the first time. If it were not for Molly Penny may have never taken her medicine and possibly gotten sick.
ReplyDeleteGood job remembering and using evidence from the text to identify and provide an example Nathan. Can you list another one?
DeleteMolly is discovering many of the deepest secrets of the Wincers. Why are they being so secretive about the tree? I wonder if Figs and Stubs will find the tree. I have been questioning if the Wincers know who the night gardener is? I can infer that something is up. How come every time Master Wincer leaves something strange happens!! I can't wait to read more!!!! Is Mr. Wincer partnering with the night gardener and constensnce seems to be the boss of the house.
ReplyDeleteKate I totally agree! The only thing that I am questioning about your inference is that I don't think that Mr. Wincer is siding with the night gardener. I think that he is just doing the opposite of what he says to Mrs. Wincer. That is what I think!
DeleteWhat do you think that Fig and Stubs would wish for if your inference is correct?
DeleteAlistair didn't want to have his dad think he was selfish and greedy by taking lots of candy and sweets from the sweetshop back in their hometown, and usually only left with a small lollypop or chocolate bar. Now he realized his mistake because he never got his chance to buy a whole lot of candy and is longing for some so, he goes to the tree and gets a bunch of caramels, chocolates, gumdrops, etc. so he can make up for it.
ReplyDeletePenny had to start reading to herself because Molly couldn't read to her so Penny is reading princess Penny and all of her adventures. Molly could not read to Penny because in the book it said that Penny asked Molly If she will promise to still tell stories to her and Molly didn't promise so that is why Penny has to read by herself. After a while I think Penny will get used to reading by herself.
ReplyDeleteMaybe Princess Penny is what her mom used to read her before they moved! Maybe the books have something to do with what they did before they moved??
DeleteEvelyn is right what if the books resemble the past before they knew about the night man and when they were all like they were in the picture molly looks at all the time
DeleteI am wondering: how come every time that molly comes into Penny's room, there is a new set of "Princess Penny" books? Does Penny just have a supply of her books somewhere Molly has never seen, or is it MAGIC?? The only reason I don't think that it is one is because Molly always cleans everyone's rooms. What do you think?
ReplyDeleteThat is exactly what I was wondering too!
Deletei also think that, and also i think every time you take something from the Night gardener something changes in your body, maybe thats why they have to take medicine
DeleteRemember, when Molly first saw the green door Penny was inside. She most likely get's a new set of books whenever she visits the tree.
DeleteI do not know if she has a new stack of books or that molly did not know, she had those. I do agree there is some kind of magic in the house.
DeleteI don't know what you guys read this afternoon, but I am wondering why the letter that they thought their mom wrote said stay here. And the things their mom wrote, those can't be true! I bet the Night Gardener didn't send their letter, just replyed to get them not to leave. Didn't we think their parents were in the navy? The letter must be from the Night Bardener though.
ReplyDeleteI agree, I think the Night Gardener is definitely up to something.
DeleteHow do you think Kip and Molly are going to react when they do find out who the night gardener is? I personally think that they are going to to be astonished and maybe a bit interested in the deep mysteries of the Wincer family. I can't wait to see the reactions you guys think!
ReplyDeleteI predict that the night gardener is a trapped spirt that at night must tend to the tree or he will never see the world again. And that sprit is master winsores old family all in one.
ReplyDeleteNice prediction christian its easy to say that the Night Gardener is trapped in a spirit of some sort,however i think the sour woods is like a boundary, and that the Night Gardener took care of the tree his whole life. Also that the old lady with a giant backpack said to kip i don't no if that is true but obviously the family is cursed somehow
DeleteI predict that the Night Gardener is looking for the rings that molly got in trouble for looking at which we read about in todays read aloud. Also I wonder what happened to Molly hair. What u guys think!. comment below if would like.
ReplyDeleteI wonder why constance renews a ring every time Bertrand (master Winsor) takes one, why does he need so many if he's just going to keep them stuffed in the drawer in a jewelry box, do think constance cares if she has to renew a ring every time master Winsor hides it. Do they really love each other.
ReplyDeleteThere are many cause and effect times in this book so far. One example of cause and effect is when Molly and Kip decided to go work for the Windsor family. Though this happened at the very beginning of the story. It is still crucial to remember that if the two siblings hadn't gone to work for the mysterious family, they're lives wouldn't have been mixed up with the Night Gardener at all. Another cause and effect scenario is when Molly promised Hester Kettle a story of the Windsor House. Hester Kettle came back for a story and unfortunately Molly was inside when she came, I presume Hester will eventually come back for her story. After all a promise is a promise
ReplyDeleteI feel there is a reason that the night gardener was digging that hole because he wanted to get in the tree. Then that is why the tree came alive and attacked kip. But it was very suspicious that kip was snooping around were the hole was. Another thing was that in the book it says that the worms were eating penny's toes but when kip went in there the roots were trying to hurt kip. Also when Mollie's skin turns pale i believe that we the tree gives them there wishes but then takes some of there soul. I believe that because when she is to scared to sleep in the house she went to the stables to sleep with her brother he noticed her pale skin.
ReplyDeleteA when a person goes in the green door they get presents witch makes their body change , the effect is when the person changes they stay that way for the rest of their life. This means the tree and the Night Gardener put a curse on you. Does anyone else agree.
ReplyDeleteMe too Will. I think he like takes a sacrifice of somesort every time someone wishes for something. I think he is mostly after their souls or spirits.
DeleteWait, there was never any mention of the pale face or black hair until Molly began taking from the tree. I think the tree and/or the Night Gardener have been doing something to Molly to change her, but it clearly hasn't happened to Kip yet, certainly proving that after Molly took from the tree, she began to change.
DeleteI infer that after the fact that is that when they mention ho when mr.winzer was found out side pale as white yelling and knocking on doors saying “evil is coming evil is coming” so I think that Mr. Winzer is the night gardener also its weird that Constance read mollies mind so I think that Constance could be a side kick. You never know what is possible in this type of book.
ReplyDeleteSo did anyone think about how the night gardener was able to write in their ma's handwriting? Think about it,it's unlikely the letter is real because they don't know where their parents are. Also I know for a fact that if my mom heard from me she would be asking tons of questions regarding my heath and safety, and say a lot of mushy stuff.
ReplyDelete