Thursday, February 13, 2014

Conversation with Mr Martin's Class (ASSIGNMENT)

Here are the directions for the assignment:

FIRST THINGS FIRST: WATCH THE PREZI FROM THE PREVIOUS BLOG POST!!!!!

You must write a detailed, 2-4 paragraph response. You must edit for grammar, spelling, and punctuation!

Part A: Write about something new you learned regarding the differences/similarities between British English and American English.  We've already spent some time around this discussion, so make sure you write about something NEW that you learned during our skype conversation!

Part B:  Answer one of these essential questions:

1.  Are there certain historical events, or certain people throughout history who are responsible for the way an individual word or phrase is pronounced? (Think about our Explorers unit and 13 Colonies unit!)

2. Do companies (such as Taza or Hersheys) have the right or responsibility to decide which way a certain word (cacao) is pronounced? Why?

3. Why is it that both England and the United States speak the language known as "English?"
    Why is it spoken in so many places around the world?

IMPORTANT:  Do some research to supplement your background knowledge! Most importantly, use evidence to support your claims!  Do you have a B.O.S. Thesis statement?  What is the main thing you are arguing about?

extra credit: Construct a countering argument to another student's claim.  Your argument must be supported by evidence!


DUE Feb 26th.

26 comments:

  1. There are many similarities and differences between American English and British English. We pronounce words differently but we have the same meaning and purpose. American English and British English use different words for the same things. The words maybe different but they have the same meaning.

    One of these differences that I learned was that the British use different words when referring to certain things. For example, they call the bathroom the loo and the trashcan the bin. A similarity that relates to this is that they may say things differently but it means the same thing. Also, the British wonder why we call the loo the bathroom and vice versa. Another similarity is the state in which the British use words. They may say it or pronounce it differently but they use it for the same purpose. Those are some similarities and difference between American English and British English that I learned.


    Many people pronounce coca many different ways. Everyone wonders about the real pronunciation so they ask Hershey or Taza Chocolate for the answer. I believe that they don’t have the right to decide which way it is pronounced for many reasons.

    One of the reasons is because Hershey or Taza Chocolate are only a chocolate company and shouldn’t have the right to decide the correct pronunciation of the word. We should be able to pronounce the word as it was first said by Mayans when they grew it. Another reason why these chocolate companies shouldn’t be able to decide is because of our freedom of speech. People can pronounce the word anyway they want. In addition, if you go onto Hershey’s website and look under the ingredients they have coco and not cocoa. These chocolate companies may have changed the proper word spelling and pronunciation for marketing purposes. The goal of these chocolate companies is to sell chocolate and make money.

    Those are some new and interesting things I learned and why Hershey or any other chocolate company shouldn’t be able to decide how to pronounce the word.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked your post Dylan

      Delete
    2. American and British English have many similarities and differences. Have you ever wondered why English sounds so different in different parts of the world? Most words are only pronounced differently but have the same meaning, but there are also some words that are completely different and mean the same thing.

      During the Skype conversation I learned that it is sometimes a mystery how some words were developed in both countries such as the words "bathroom and the loo". The British students were wondering why we call it the bathroom when there is not always a bathtub in it. I never even thought of that before! We were also wondering why they call it the loo and they didn’t seem to know either. Maybe some words we say because we are just used to saying them that way because that is how our ancestors spoke them.

      The explorers influenced our English language by bringing it here from England. Before the British came to the Americas the indians spoke their own languages. But when the British came over, they taught them how to speak their language (English). Over the years the Indians and the settlers came up with their own ways of pronouncing or saying the English words. The same thing happened in the other countries when the British conquered their lands, such as in Australia and Canada. The British forced them to learn English and the settlers language changed over many years too.

      Now many different countries in the world speak English because many years ago the British brought it to them, but it sounds very different in each place.

      Delete
  2. There are many differences between American English and British English. After the Skype conversation with Mr. Martin's class, I learned a few things about how they use certain words. For example, they call the bathroom the loo and they call a trash can a bin. Since we didn't spend a long time talking with them and because we discussed other things besides American and British English, I discovered from some research I did that there are many similarities between them and there are also many more differences than I realized.

    Some of the similarities between American and British English are that we share the same alphabet and pronunciation of the letters, the majority of the vocabulary of the language and the same articles (i.e., the, and, it, but, to). Some of the differences include some pronunciations, the use of grammar, some vocabulary, some spellings, punctuation marks, prepositions and how time is written. For example, when pronouncing some of the same words in each English, the stress of the syllables is different as in the word Interpol. One of the grammatical differences is that the British use the present perfect tense and the Americans use the past tense to mean the same thing. When we say "I've had candy" they say "I've just had candy". There are many words that mean different things in America than in Britain. For example, a "garden" in Britain is a "background" in America and "gasoline" in America is "petrol" in Britain. When it comes to spelling certain words, the British change our ending doing one of the following things: take letters off the word as in our "fullfill" to their "fulfil", add letters to the word as in our "judgment" to their "judgement", replace a letter as in our "prize" to their "prise" or just completely change the ending as in our "catalog" to their "catalogue". Some punctuation is different, too. For example, in America we write "Mr., Mrs., Dr." and in Britain they write "Mr, Mrs and Dr".
    The use of some prepositions is different. For example, here we say, "We are on a team" and in Britain they say, "We are in a team". Finally, time is sometimes said and written differently. For example, six o'clock is written in America as "6:00" and in Britain it is written "6.00". In America, we would say "It is quarter after the hour" and in Britain they would say, "It is quarter past the hour".

    So, as you can see, British and American English is just a ginormous Venn Diagram!

    ReplyDelete

  3. There are many reasons why English is spoken in so many places around the world. It is the primary language in places such as the United States, Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. It is the second most spoken language in the world after Mandarin Chinese. How did it get this way? It started when English became the language of the church in the 14th century when the language written in the Bible was English. If you could't read English and didn't have a translator, church would be very hard and even harder when in the 16th century during the Protestant Reformation it became the language of church services (that means the minister, readers and choirs would speak English in the mass). Also since Middle English was spoken in the largest part of the population it became the dominant language in England by the 14th century. As a probable result of this and the fact England owned the thirteen colonies the first permanent colony to speak English was formed in America in the 1600s after which more colonies followed in doing. In addition, the English language was spread by England's traders who took it around the world to begin making English an international language. In the 1700s the European settlers in Australia and New Zealand outnumbered the natives and English became their language. Most importantly, England was the leading country in trade so many people learned to speak English so they could trade with England. In the 1700s English became the principal language of international commerce which encouraged other nations to understand and speak it. Also in the 19th century when Britain was the worlds most colonial active nation British explorers and traders took their language everywhere they went like to the four corners of the world. (The four corners of the world are in four continents which are: Africa in the south, Asia in the east, Europe in the north and America in the west). English is now used in administration, education and government as a form of communication and in many places in Europe and China, English is learned in school. Since England and the U.S.A. have been very successful with money and the government many people thought it would be a good idea to learn it to communicate in science, business and diplomacy. In the 20th century when America was the worlds most powerful nation they brought English to other countries of the world. Also scientists around the world use English when communicating. Last, but not least English is the international language of business and the the principal language of media and show biz.

    My sources are our website and http://www.studyenglishtoday.net/british-american-spelling.html , Linguapress.com ,British library , wikipedia , Deffen.com , Yahoo answers and Bartley.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Wonderful Language-English BY: Cecelia Tarpey
    British and American English have a lot of words and punctuation that is the same and some that are different. In this paper I will discuss this and I will also talk about why both England and the United States speak English and why English is spoken in so many places around the world.
    There are Similarities between British and the American English. One difference is some words are spelled differently. For example, center is spelled “centre” in British. In addition, pajamas is spelled “pyjamas” in British. They also have different names for everyday objects and events. For instance, we say apartment and the British say “flat” and we say corn and the British say “maize”. Another difference is we do double quotation marks and the British only do one. One similarity is periods and commas come before the closing mark. Another similarity, is we share the same articles, letters of the alphabet and pronunciation of most letters. These are differences and similarities between British and American English that I have learned through my research.
    England and the United States both speak English because the pilgrims and the early British explorers brought over English when they colonized the United States. Another example, is to be able to trade stuff they would both need to speak the same language or else it would be a hard time figuring out what they are saying. English is spoken in so many places around the world because the English people traveled a lot and colonized so people had to learn English. Back then and today often English is used in businesses.
    This paper was about British English and American English. There were several interesting details I have learned while I was researching. One fact I have learned was the British English spell words different than us. I also haven’t really thought before I was doing this paper that it would be very difficult if everyone spoke a different language. Another piece that I learned when I started researching is that the English people traveled all around the world to spread the word about English. I am glad English is my first language because no matter where I go in the world people will typically no how to speak English.

    ReplyDelete
  5. During our Skype conversation with Mr. Martin’s class I learned a lot about how they name things differently than us. For example one of the terms that they use for the bathroom is the loo. I did some research on the word loo, and learned that in the 1900s Waterloo iron cisterns were a common component of British outhouse toilets. This is one theory why the bathroom is called a loo.

    Another new word that I heard in the video was “THE VAMPS”. I heard a girl ask if any of us knew who THE VAMPS were and we all said no. So I was curious what the term meant so I did some research. The answer is that the vamps are an English boy band. I found the answer by going on to Google and typed in the word vamps. I hit enter and got a lot of websites about vampires. But that was not what I was looking for. So I re-typed the vamps and hit enter and finally I found out that the vamps are an English boy band. To learn more about THE VAMPS, I checked out their website which listed their names and ages.

    During our conversation with Mr. Martin’s class I was also curious why both England and the United States speak the language known as "English?” The reason why so many people talk English around the world is because many of the first settlers that came to America were from England. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, the British started to settle in Virginia, then invaded the whole east coast. But that does not explain why English was imposed, because, after all, there were also French colonists on the continent, and therefore these two languages were spoken there. Little by little, the English colonists began to win territories. They took after from the French at the end of the Seven Years war, doubling their size. The victorious British colonists declared themselves independent in 1776 from Great-Britain, and then adopted in 1787 their own constitution. This explains why English is the most spoken language in America.

    So why do so many people speak English in so many places around the world? I did some research and learned that many people are English speakers because it is the most popular language of commerce and business around the world. American companies are important leaders, so many other countries who want to do business with Americans will learn English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to Joseph’s post, I saw the term “middle English” and decided to do some research, and learned the following. Middle English describes dialects of English in the history of the English language between the High and Late Middle Ages, or roughly during the three centuries between the late 12th and the late 15th century. Since the printing press was not in use in England before the 1470s, no original Middle English works are available in print. No Bibles were ever printed in Middle English. It is popularly believed that William Shakespeare wrote in Middle English, but he actually wrote in Early Modern English.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I learned
    I learned very much from our Skype with Mr. Martins class, such as many differences/similarities in British English and American English and why Taza, Hershey and other chocolate companies do not have the right to tell us how to say certain words like cacao. So read this piece , learn why we can say anything the way we want (cacao) and learn about all the differences and similarities of American English and British English – two places, two languages.

    Here is one of the many things I learned from our conversation. If you watch the video closely you’ll hear the question come up with Claire- ‘’Why do you call the bathroom the ‘loo’?’’ I learned that I wanted to know the answer because we didn’t get a clear answer from Mr. Martins class. One theory is that since the toilet was commonly located in room 100 of buildings and the two ("loo" and "100") look very much the same. I also learned that the Aaaaa sounds different in English so that changes everything(Ranch for us and for British it sounds like Ro-nch). The English have different words to match our words – same meaning – 2 words. We share the same alphabet but they put the 27 letters into different words just with the same meaning!

    Do big name chocolate companies –Hershey’s/Taza have the right to tell us how we say the certain word cacao? ABSOULOUTLEY NOT! My fight is for cacao and this is why we should say it how we want! There are many different ways you can say it. Some say Ca-cow -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSIkXL_Nmo. Others say it Ca-cao -http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?cacao001.wav=cacao. Even others say it ca-cow-oh -http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?cacao001.wav=cacao. Many say Ca-Caw-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXihcoqR6kg. The people who agree with themselves say it best. There is no right or wrong way to cay Cacao as I learned from research. So take a stand and fight for the right to say it how you want! If I can do it you can too. Although the Mayans invented the word’s pronunciation that doesn’t mean it will dishonor them or change isn’t right – believe your own saying! So Taza says Ca-cow , I say ca-cao, you say ca-caw. If the sites I found all have different ways to say it that proves my cause/claims with evidence and also means we can do it too!

    Wow looks like we learned a lot today! We learned to take a stand for the word Cacao and say it our way. We also learned about British English vs. American English and the differences and similarities between them. I learned a ton from our Skype with Mr. Martin’s year 8 students – I hope you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although there are many similarities between British and American English there are also many differences.
    I learned that although some words are spelled the same they may be said differently due to regional dialect. During the skype conversation I learned that tomato is spelled the same way in great Britain but is pronounced at tom-oto. In great Britain they often say a’s differently. I also learned that they call some things a totally different word. For example they call the bathroom the lue and they call French fries chips!
    I think that companies shouldn’t have the rights and responsibilities to decide which way a certain word is pronounced. For example Hershey’s® could say there ingredient is called ca-cow, but other people could say it is pronounced as cacao. I think people should be able to say it either way. I think it is pronounced as cacao or ca-cow, either way is fine. That is why I do not think companies should not have the rights and responsibilities decide which way a certain word is pronounced.
    I think that words should be pronounced uniformly because it is the same language, and would be easier for everyone to understand. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. amelia i like how you stated facts and evidence in your paragraph about why so many places speak english!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are many similarities between American English and brittish English. But in a way most of the time the words are the same in the end. Such as policeman is a copper, counter clock wise is anti clockwise, they call the movie’s the cinema. That just proves my point of similarities between American English and brittish English. A new word I learned was vamps. I have no idea what it means yet.

    I decided to do question 3 the reason I chose it is I don't know that so I did some research. I realized that the reason it is spoken all around the world is because it is so hard to learn because it is a mash up of different words from different langauges so any body can pick up a word or two. For example some words from American indian are igloo, chimpmunk, pecan, and moose. There are many other words that English has borrowed but that list would last at least 20 pages. That is why I think English is used so much all around the world.

    Vamps is or should I say “the vamps” the vamps are a pop rock group with lead singer Brad Simpson. This band is very similar to the beetles but more in the present. They play at festival like stages or carnivals all around the UK (united kingdom). This is why they were so shocked when we did not know them.

    There are many different pronunciations in different countries. Our American English is my favorite of all. All though there are many different words they all have the same intention no matter where the mouth is saying it comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are like me, you have tasted the chocolate goodness of a Hershey’s chocolate bar. But have you ever wondered about what’s in that luscious ingot? Well, for starters the one of the main ingredients is cacao (not cocoa) beans. This word can be pronounced a bunch of ways, but the 2 main ones are ka-kow – the one that the chocolate companies have said is the way to pronounce it and ka-kao- the one the dictionaries agree with. But do these companies have the right or responsibility to decide which way cacao is pronounced.
    One thing that I learned about British English in the skype conversation is that British English refers to words in more rational ways (no offense guys) like with the word vitamin. They pronounce it with a short i, which is the regular way you should pronounce it. There is no e or other letter that would change the pronunciation of I in “Vitamin” so why do we pronounce it that way? This is an example of how British people talk more rationally.
    I think that the chocolate companies do not have the right to decide which way a word is pronounced. Would you ask a cook the way “lettuce” is pronounced? The answer is probably no. It is the same thing when we ask Taza or Hershey’s how to pronounce cacao. So should we trust them, or listen to the dictionaries, the people who have the authority on words. One key word in this equation is “Company”. Companies are trying to sell things, be it bananas or giraffes, or in this case chocolate. It turns out that Hershey’s actually says cocoa in their ingredient list. This means that they could care less about the pronunciation of the word. They use cocoa because it is the more common (although wrong) way of spelling it. It ultimately helps sell more chocolate in the long run because more people can relate to it. I do not think that Hershey’s or Taza should have the right unless they can present evidence.
    I think that we should ignore the chocolate companies and instead talk to the dictionaries, who know everything about our crazy language and would probably know the answer to this question.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Conversation with Mr. Martin’s class taught me a lot about the similarities and differences between British and American English and helped me understand and think about things in the language that are different in Brittan and America, and how companies can or cannot decide how a word is spoken.

    Something new I’ve learned regarding the similarities and differences between British English and American English are that in Brittan they speak a word the way it is written, while in America we speak a word with many patterns that don’t sound the way the word is spelled. I know that Taza Chocolates replied to us saying that they pronounce the cacao “ca-cow”, but in Brittan I think it would make more sense if they pronounced the word “ca-kay-oh” because this way of saying cacao is the way it is spelled. If you look at other words in British English like Mobile they pronounce “mo-bile” and vitamin they pronounce, “vit-i-man”. These words are all pronounced the way they are spelled.

    Companies, such as Taza, Hershey’s, or Mars do not have the right or responsibility to decide which way a certain word (cacao) is pronounced. One, they don’t own the language, and a person (or a group of people) can’t decide how a word is pronounced because on the Bill Of Rights the first amendment is Freedom Of Speech; meaning that we have the right to say what ever we want.

    In conclusion, I learned that there are many rules/ differences/ similarities between different styles of the English language. Also, people who are experts at one thing or another, can’t decide the way a word they use a lot (or is a part of what they do) is pronounced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, I really liked your second paragraph. I never really realized that they do say it the way it is spelled! I liked it because a lot of people will probably never will realize it till their told! I think you and Dylan have the best 2nd paragraph.

      Delete
  13. Jack, I really like how you defended your claim (why companies like Taza or Hershey's can decide how a word [cacao] is pronounced). You used a lot of evidence like "would you ask a cook how to pronounce lettuce; the answer is probably no" that are real-life examples. I also really liked how you how you said that we should ignore the chocolate companies because we probably know a lot about our own language; it's very true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Allie Olson
    February 26, 2014
    There are many similarities and differences between American and British English. Some words have completely different meanings but still mean something in each language. But they have some words that we don’t use at all. English is spoken in many different countries for many reasons. There are certain historical events or people in history that may have affected the way words are used or pronounced. I don’t think companies should have the right to decide how to pronounce a word. I think if there are different ways to pronounce a word, people should be able to pronounce it either way.
    In the conversation with Mr. Martin’s class, I learned that in British English they call a truck a “lorry”. I did a little research on the word and I think lorry is a silly name for a truck because lorry sounds like the work “lurry” which means to drag along. The origin of the word lorry is from the railroad industry where the word was used to refer to a freight car. People started to use this word in 1838.
    Companies that use cacao should not have the right to decide how to pronounce cacao. Just because the company uses cacao, they shouldn’t have the power to tell people how to pronounce it. People have the right to choose how to pronounce a word because we have freedom. The way people pronounce words can be different based on where they live so if a company is in one area and pronounces a word one way, they shouldn’t be able to force the way they pronounce the word. They shouldn’t make everybody else have to say it that way.
    There are many similarities and differences between American English and British English. Some words we use in both languages but have different meanings. And some words we don’t use at all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are many similarities and differences between American and British English. Pronunciation and use of words vary between the two languages. Also, you will find that there are also similarities between the two. So whether you prefer a "ta-mate-to" or "ta-mat-o" or if you prefer to use a flashlight or a torch the two cultures will find that we do have things in common.

    During the skype conversation with the Mr.Martin's British classI learned about some specific differences and similarities between us. For example, in many cases our cultures use different words to say the same thing, such as American French fries and the British chips. If you are looking for a trash can in England you had better ask for a bin. Also, if someone from England intends to play football in the United States they better be prepared to put on some heavy padding. There pronunciations of various words may be different too, like "bro-sure' and bro-chure". Some pronunciations between British and American are so similar you can not hear the difference, like garage. A similarity between use of words is most of the words that are different have similar meanings to another word in the American English dictionary. For example bin and trash can, football and soccer, and fries and chips. A similarity for pronunciation is both of the ways you could say vitamin. Both have similar pronunciations. The difference is just a short I.This is the case with other pronunciations between American and British english.

    Big companies like M&M Mars and Hershey's Chocolate call cacao either "ka-k-o" or "ka-kow", but are they right? Truth is neither of them are. People are free to say it how ever they want to. People might think they are right because their project is to make products with cacao in it, but these companies are no English dictionaries! However they have no proof that they are right, because they didn't originate the word, the Mayans did. If you want to know which way is wrong or right look in a dictionary not chocolate companies. I think people have their freedom of speech and can chose which way to pronounce which way and no one can tell you which way is right or wrong.

    ka-k-o or ka-kow American or English you will have freedom of speech and can say things how ever you may like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Part A:

    During our Skype conversation with Mr. Martin’s Year 8 students, I learned that there are many differences and similarities between British English and American English. One difference that really stuck out was the time difference. When we first started chatting with the class it was 10:10 AM EST (our time) and for them it was the end of their school day. Another thing that was interesting was the different words they would use. For example, they would use the word loo to describe the bathroom. When we asked them why the use the word loo, they told us because the word bathroom means to bathe. They also call the highway the motorway and chips are called crisps in Britain. Even though the British speak English they have a different dialect than we do. I also noticed some interesting things about their classroom. They seemed to have a really large classroom, they wore uniforms and were really excited and loud. Overall, it was very interesting to be able to see Mr. Martin’s class and learn how they were the same and different to our class in the United States.
    Part B:
    England and the United States both speak the language known as “English”. Great Britain had many colonies back in the 14th to the 19th century which became the United States. When people traveled to the colonies from Great Britain, English was known as the common language. The British also colonized many other areas around the world. This spread the English language throughout the world. The English language is the first language spoken in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand and it is also spoken in some Caribbean nations. This is why English is spoken in so many places around the world.

    English is spoken around the world, and even though it started in Britain, each country has a different way of speaking the language. Every country uses different words to describe the same thing. They also have different accents when they speak. Even though there are differences in each country, we can understand what they are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our class has been arguing and discussing the pronunciations of the word cacao. We decided to have a class in England sort it out for us. After we talked with Mr. Martin’s class, we had to write an essay reviewing it all. First up, is what I learned from our blog discussion!
    I learned many things about our blog discussion. I learned that the original word came from the Mayans who pronounced it as (Ka'-Kau').This name is coined by the Swedish Linneus, that merged the Greek words such as " Theo" god" Broma" food with the Maya Cacao. I learned this from Dylan, who posted this during our blog discussion. That was some very helpful and important information I learned about the history of the word cacao.
    I decided to answer question number two for part B. Companies such as Taza or Hersheys do not have the right to decide how the word cacao is pronounced! They did not come up with the word so they cannot tell people how to pronounce it. Even if they did, they still cannot tell people how to pronounce it. It is a free country! And anyway, just because they are a chocolate company, that doesn’t mean they can tell people how to pronounce the word cacao! That is unfair to the Mayan, who actually made uo the word!
    The word cacao can be pronounced in many ways. And we have proof that stretches a mile. Only some of it was here though. And after the discussion with Mr. Martin, more information was added to that mile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I learned many things regarding the similarities and differences between American and British English during our talk with Mr. Martin’s class and our debate on the blog and in class. The main thing I learned during this time is that people in the UK say words like cacao, vitamin, and ate differently. This is partly because of the accent people in the UK have. They also say words differently to make more sense of the language, because the English language is very complicated.
    Cacao can be said in many ways, but whom and what effected how it is said today? Cacao beans were discovered by tribe called the Olmecs, a neighboring civilization to the Mayans. To the Olmecs, cacao beans were a sign of abundance. Over time, the Mayans and the Aztecs learned how to grow cacao beans. Cacao beans were used in a variety of ways such as counting, a currency, and was used as a measuring unit. The first European to try cacao beans was most likely the Spanish conquistadors that conquered the Mayan empire, but they never took the beans back to Spain. Also while on a native canoe, Columbus caught a glimpse of these beans but never did anything else with them.
    Cacao bean’s importance was not truly discovered until Hernando Cortez drank it with the Aztec emperor Montazuma. Then, once he conquered the empire, he brought the beans back to Spain, along with the equipment necessary to brew the drink in 1528. Chocolate drinks were not very popular in England until the mid-1600, but when it did arrive in England, it was very popular. And so, because of the accents the English they pronounced it, “cacow.”
    Cortez was a historical figure that effected how cacao is said today because he brought cacao beans in the first place! Even though chocolate did not arrive in the UK until 1650, it became a very popular drink and it was pronounced,”cacow,” and Cortez was responsible for bringing the brown gold to the Eastern Hemisphere so everyone could enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hae you ever wondered why people in England and the U.S.A speak the same language English? This is my opinion about this subject.The U.S.A was settled in 1620 when the pilgrims from England landed at Plymouth MA. Soon there were 13 Colonies formed and in 1776 the Revolutionary War broke out against England for U.S.A independence. Even though the Colonists rebelled against England and established the U.S.A, the official language of U.S.A was English. I believe English is spoken in so many places around the world because many of the big American companies hae offices, stores and warehouses around the world. Also, the financial capital of the world is in NYC and many major financial decisions made in NYC affect the rest of the world. Even though there is no official world language, English is the closest to it as explained above. By Jack Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  20. Something new I learned from talking to Mr. Martens class was that our English language is similar and different from their form of English! One way that it is similar I discovered is that they spell the words that sound the same in both our English are spelled the same too. Also you may think just because they pronounce it differently it is different, but to my surprise that is not true. Another way the language is similar is that most words are said the same , it may not be surprising but I thought that they were going to say things in a different way.(Ex: when we say fries they say chips)A difference from our English and their English is that they don’t use any combinations of words such as: I’m (but their grammar may be more advanced then ours.)

    Question 3:
    Behind mandarin Chinese and Spanish, English ranks third based on the number of native speaking people. The estimate total of people who speak English as their second language is 750 million, according to britishcouncil.org. both England and the US speak English because the first colonists who came to the US from England in the early 1600s , brought over religion, tradition , and their language of English. An example of how they brought over culture is with the Columbian exchange where colonists brought over their gods and culture with them. In 1607 English speaking colonists from England started a colony called Jamestown. After that the pilgrims came from England , started a colony called Plymouth and they brought their English language with them. This is similar to Jamestown where the English colonists brought their culture, beliefs, and English language. Not only did this happen in north America, but in many other places such as Africa and Australia as well. This is how the English language started to spread and today 750 million people speak it!


    By:Rita Hart

    ReplyDelete
  21. first things first this is kira:British English and American English might seem the same but really not . For example they say the I in vitamin differently .Also they have trouble saying words like mayonnaise .Most importantly we got our language from Britain but over the years the United states and Britain started diverging from each other in various aspects .

    Some people would say that Taza and Hershey’s can control the situation but they can not tell you how to say cacoa because it is a fact not an opinion. So say what ever feels right. Now do you see how they are different.

    ReplyDelete
  22. By:Christian Gildea
    Intro




    I learned a different pronounciation in the skype video with Mr.Martins 7th grade class. The British way of saying it is Vamp. So I took advantage of that word and did a little research. I figured out that there’s different meanings for it. It could be short for vampire, it’s also the upper part of the shoe but we call it the tongue, a volunteer firefighter,or a synonym for femme fatale. Then I scrolled down and found out that there’s different topics for Vamp. Those topics are Science and technology, music, literature and film, and toy and games. We all know what they are because we say them here too. Vamp has lots and lots of different meanings. But we don’t know which one the young girl meant. Could it have been music, games, film? So that’s why we are going to skype them again soon!





    Link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vamp
    Part B

    Part B asked to answer one of these essential questions, 1, 2, and 3. I chose number 2. Number 2 asked “Do companies (such as Taza or Hersheys) have the right or responsibility to decide which way a certain word (cacao) is pronounced? Why? So I did some research and before I started I thought in my mind yes but turns out i’m wrong its no. I can prove my point because I looked at Hershey’s inc. LINK: http://www.thehersheycompany.com/assets/pdfs/hersheycompany/21st_Century-single_page_final.pdf and it only talks about how they make it and the ingredients. But I remember in class Jack Madden said “Hersheys sent me a message on my computer and said it is pronounced cacao ca-k-o thats just probably how they say it. Because it can be pronounced in many different ways. I think people say it in different ways is because of their accent. Thats just my theory.
    Conclusion

    I learned a lot of different things in this project. I hope you have too. I cant wait to skype with Mr.Martins class again to learn a lot of new stuff (and earlier so then the kids don’t go crazy again)! I learned about Vamp how it can used in many different ways, also that Hersheys or Taza doesn’t have the responsibility to decide the way cacao is pronounced. Thanks so much Mr.Martins class!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is Claire

    Ranch please! Or as the English would say, “ronch.” Why does the world have so many places that speak English? Find out in this essay.

    Something new that I learned from our Skype conversation, was the British pronounce words with A in them like the A is an O. For example, we say ranch, the say ronch.

    The USA and England speak the same language. England was the first country to sail over and have a colony that was actually successful. In Canada, it was the French who colonized. In South America, many conquistadors claimed land for Spain. The reason why English is spoken all over the world is the same reason why English is spoken in the USA. England was a large country once. It had some of Canada, all of Australia, India, Egypt, South Africa, too many to count. Eventually, many became their own countries.

    I truly learned a lot from writing this essay. How lots of places speak English, and differences between American and British English.


    ReplyDelete